Saturday, May 19, 2007

Slightly behind

I was already a day behind and now I’m more behind. Sigh

Got mostly packed on Monday and after 14 hours I stopped and went to bed. Got up at 5 to start over and now I’m somewhere north of the grapevine. I wasn’t able to leave before 9 like I wanted and I had a brilliant idea of heading west down i-80 to get to some small highways to make it over i-5 instead of going east into downtown sacramento to catch the interchange to i-5 (backtracking a little). Well, my brilliant plan DID NOT pay off. I was supposed to go 80 west to 113 south to 12 east and bam! There’s I-5. But NOOOOOOO. 113 was fine, if not a bit windy, then 12 was going well and then all of a sudden right before I-5 hwy 12 is closed. CLOSED. Cops everywhere blocking it so I have to take 160 south to hwy 4 and it takes forevvvvvvvvvver.

Oh btw I bought a new truck. That’s another post.

I wasn’t even sure if I would ever reach I-5. And when I finally did it took 2 hours to get someplace that would have taken 40 minutes if I hadn’t done my little experiment.

So I was finally movin’ along when I feel the entire truck pull back and then vibrate. The trailer tire had blown. I pull over to change it and it is seriously blown. All the tread is off and completely wrapped around the axle. I’ve got to pull everything out of the back of the truck while all these 18 wheelers are blowin’ by to get the jack. Nice. I take it off, put the spare on and when I let the jack down the spare goes FLAT! So NOW I have to call AAA and they’re all “ma’am do you have a spare?”

“um yeah, it’s on the trailer”

anyway, they don’t want to deal with my trailer and the shop is negotiating with AAA to see what they’ll cover in case they have to tow my trailer because the spare is flat.

The guy that came out was really nice and he inflated the tire and it worked and then he followed me to the next town to walmart (ACK!) to buy a tire. But walmart only had four hole trailer tires and I needed five hole trailer tires so I went down the road to another tire shop and they could get the tire tomorrow and they closed in 5 minutes. I couldnt’ commit. I went across the street to Carlos’ tire shop and they hooked me up. I ended up getting two tires because the one left was the same age as the one that blew and I thought you know, I don’t want to do this again thank you. especially in baja where there are no shoulders on the road.

So all that time sittin’ in the sun waiting burned me out and when I got back on the road I was able to go a couple hours but once it got dark my eyelids got really heavy. So I got off the highway. And now I’m hoping I can sleep with a lot of what I own strapped in the boat or on top of my truck (ok SUV) and not worry about it.

You know cuz I’m so chill about everything.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused....you are going back? When were you home. I feel left out, you didn't call....like you had time.
email when you can...love s

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home