Saturday, July 08, 2006

TECATE PROMISES

Ever since EQUIPO TECATE (TEAM TECATE) found out where we lived (after the shark jaw cleaning day) they would stop by daily with a couple of sixes, hang out, talk big, and then leave.

During one conversation, I was complaining about the lack of cabrilla (leopard grouper) at the filet table this year. They proceeded to say we’ll take you fishing! Why didn’t you ask!!?? I said, well, I know you work for Arturo and he charges to go fishing so I would never presume to think that you would just TAKE us fishing.

Momo dijo “no! no me pides! Me digas! Somos amigos! Me mandas!”
(Jesus (momo) said “no! you don’t ask me! You tell me! We are friends! You tell me!”)

Soooo, I said, ok TAKE US FISHING!

AND they said ok if we don’t’ have clients this weekend then we’ll take you.

Then the next day they said that if we want to go fishing that Arturo said that all we had to pay for was gas and they could take us out. I said, cool so Catherine and I want to go on Sunday because she’s leaving the Tuesday after next and has a trip planned for the weekend before she leaves and they said YES YES OF COURSE!

The next day they came over, they hang out and the conversation headed towards cockfights because momo had a cock in the fight the last time there was a derby in town. He explained that how it worked* to us and then went on and on about his cock lost in the third round.

Catherine expressed an interest in the cockfighting without the fighting so then momo went off about how his son has many cocks and he would be so happy to come over and bring his son’s cocks to just show us how beautiful they are without their armor. So we say ok, BRING THEM!

And then I say I would like to get some clams for Catherine before she leaves and bar-b-q them and momo says “oh yes, I’m a very good cook! One day when we don’t have work I’ll come here and make you a huge feast with lobster! And clams! And pescado!”

And I said that would be awesome but it has to be like in a week because Catherine’s leaving. And they say “OF COURSE!”

Then they show up again as usual, with a couple of sixes and hang out. And they talk about the cocks, the bbq, and the fishing. And then they say tomorrow they’ll bring over the cocks.

After they leave, Catherine says, “so, do you really think they’ll bring the cocks over? Or was that a Tecate Promise?”

And I fell out! So I said NOOOOOOOOO! THEY WILL TOTALLY BRING THEM AND COOK FOR US AND AND WHATEVER THEY PROMISED THEY WILL DO IT!!!”

Riiiiight……

After diving in the morning cathherine and Gordon cleaned all the gear and I went to the filet table. I came back and apparently they have made a bet whether TEAM TECATE will show up with the cocks or without. The bet is that if they show up with just beer, Gordon wins. If they show up with cocks, Catherine wins. And the prize is a margarita.

TEAM TECATE shows up and Gordon wins the bet.

So from then on, TECATE PROMISE is part of our lexicon. For example, Gordon said that he would like to start running and I said oh yeah I would totally like to start running.

DEFINITELY Tecate promise.



*people bring three cocks of sequential weights and the lightest fights first to the death. If it wins then the second heaviest cock fights in the next round and if he wins then the third heaviest cock fights in the final round. And the rounds are timed.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Michele, I accidently stole a couple of your bullet weights. I'll send them to ya!...I Tecate Promise

Catherine

12:24 PM  
Blogger aqua said...

*snort*

lmao

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home